Medical Video Resources
There are many videos available online providing information about body systems, health and nursing care. We have put together examples of such video resources below.
Please remember that these are for your general education only! Always check with your nurse manager and/or agency before using any of the procedures, or applying any of the information, presented in these videos.
Basic Life Support Videos
Heimlich Maneuver - Basic demonstration of Heimlich maneuver technique, advanced demonstration of aiming technique.
Defribrillator Usage and Paddle Placement - Shows how to use the defibrillator and different ways to place the paddles with discussion of how to choose.
CPR Compression - Demonstrates how to perform good chest compressions and tips to make it easy to remember.
Bag Valve Ventilation - Performing bag valve ventilation with one or two rescuers.
Basic Life Support with AED - Demonstrates chest compressions and air bag used with AED.
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support Videos
Waveform Capnography - A new tool for life support, waveform capnography allows you to assess the effectiveness of compressions and stability of the victim. This is effective for the perfusing patient and during cardiac arrest.
King Airway Usage - Introduction to and proper usage of King airway for advanced airway creation. Blocks air from escaping to esophagus or mouth and guides into lungs.
Intraosseous Medication Administration - Drills straight to the core of IO administration, shows the most common placement and how get medication access.
Courtesy ACLS Training Center. See their website for more information and additional videos.
NIH Seniors Health Videos
The National Institutes of Health has more than 140 short videos related to health of seniors. These video cover the following topics:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Balance Problems
- Breast Cancer
- Caring for Someone with Alzheimer's
- Colorectal Cancer
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Dry Mouth
- Exercise for Older Adults
- Falls and Older Adults
- Hearing Loss
- Heart Attack
- Kidney Disease
- Low Vision
- Lung Cancer
- Macular Degeneration
- Medicare Basics for Caregivers
- Paget's Disease of Bone
- Participating in Clinical Trials
- Problems with Smell
- Prostate Cancer
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Skin Cancer
- Sleep and Aging
- Taking Medicines
- Talking with Your Doctor
MedlinePlus: Videos of Surgical Procedures
Here are nearly 300 videos of actual operations performed at medical centers in the United States since January 2004. The videos are approximately one hour long. Types of surgeries include:
- Blood, Heart and Circulation (42 videos)
- Bones, Joints and Muscles (50 videos)
- Brain and Nerves (21 videos)
- Cancers (43 videos)
- Child and Teen Health (23 videos)
- Digestive System (28 videos)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (9 videos)
- Endocrine System (13 videos)
- Eyes and Vision (1 video)
- Food and Nutrition (1 video)
- Genetics/Birth Defects (1 video)
- Injuries and Wounds (3 videos)
- Kidneys and Urinary System (3 videos)
- Lungs and Breathing (4 videos)
- Men's Health (8 videos)
- Metabolic Problems (9 videos)
- Mouth and Teeth (3 videos)
- Pregnancy and Reproduction (1 video)
- Skin, Hair and Nails (1 video)
- Transplantation and Donation (3 videos)
- Women's Health (31 videos)