Other Nursing e-Learning Resources
Here are some other websites with e-Learning modules and resources that can be used for professional development by nurses.
Innerbody.com is a great interactive site for learning about, or refreshing your knowledge on, human anatomy.
This Auscultation Assistant website helps nurses and doctors appreciate the different audio characteristics of heart murmurs and breath sounds.
Chest Drainage 101
These 10 free interactive learning modules provide training in the use of thoracic drainage devices. These modules were developed and are made available courtesy of Atrium Intractive Computer-Based Training.
Interactive Virtual Surgery
Edheads.org has several interactive virtual surgery modules that demonstrate what can be done to teach certain procedures. These include:
The College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) have a Learning Centre on their website. The nursing e-Learning modules that are available include:
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Professional Standards
- Therapeutic Nurse-Client Relationship
- Utilization of RNs and RPNs
Nurse.com offers an inventory of more than 1,200 hours of accredited nursing continuing education courses – online and in print including selected free nursing courses for RN's, LPN's, and LVN's. Access (for a small fee) is available to over 550 of their nursing CE courses and allows you to receive instant CE certificates upon course completion.
This e-Learning course is an excellent example of how online learning can be engaging and interactive rather than passive. This module provides useful tips and advice for individuals who regularly work at a computer workstation. (Created by Prometheus Training Corporation).
The Keys of Postpartum Depression online training program was created to help identify and treat women who experience serious perinatal depression. This program was developed by the University of Washington School of Nursing and the Washington State First Steps Team.
This VisualDxHealth website provides comprehensive and searchable information on skin health. It has a cool skin disease finder with color photos and images of the common skin problems. This site is a great place for nurses to review their knowledge of various skin diseases.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The NLM has a huge number of excellent interactive health education tutorials. Using animated graphics, each tutorial explains a procedure or condition in easy-to-understand language. There are 4 categories of online tutorials:
- Diseases and Conditions: 103 tutorials on such topics as acne, angina, arthritis, fractures and sprains, menopause, warts and much more.
- Tests and Diagnostics Procedures: 25 tutorials on such topics as barium enama, bone densitometry, breast lumps, bronchoscopy, colonscopy, colposcopy, CT scan and more.
- Surgery and Treatment Procedures: 35 tutorials on such topics as aorto-bifemoral bypass, cardiac rehabilitation, carotid endarterectomy, carpal tunnel syndrome, chemotherapy, etc.
- Prevention and Wellness: 8 tutorials on such topics as back exercises, coumadin, exercising for a health heart, managing cholesterol, managing stress and more.